Wednesday, 17 May 2017

Flamingo Girl

On mothers day we went to visit my mother but she didn't answer the door, which sounds bad, but I should clarify that she didn't answer the door as they don't have a doorbell and they were in the garden. But, rather than try the door and let ourselves in, we hopped back in the car and set off on a drive to find somewhere nice to enjoy the picnic we'd packed.

This was our picnic view. Pretty isn't it. I love the south of England.


It was somewhat windy and I got rather windswept.
A note about curly hair. I love my curls with a passion but have to admit that when curly hair doesn't want to play ball, it will go all out to fight you. Myself and my curls - constant battle of wills!

I decided to combine as many flamingos as I could manage into one outfit on this day, because I thought it was way overdue. I wore my charity shopped orange and pink chiffon scarf in my hair, flamingo stud earrings and my me made jacket with the flamingo brooch my sister got me for my birthday. I might have named it Ralph.


Add to that my flamingo cardigan and flamingo skirt with a Hell Bunny belt, eBay petticoat and my patent heels. My flamingo handbag was also with me but that was in the car.
And yes, I was sinking into the grass! Practical shoes for grassy countryside? Nooo, not when you have patent shoes to wear.

I think I need more flamingos in this outfit though, I'm thinking it isn't quite enough.
I think flamingo shoes would finish this look off nicely. And maybe a necklace. And a charm for my bracelet.


We passed this verge of beautiful flowers on the way home.


* * *

In other news, we're starting to get information through regarding this years London to Brighton Classic Car Run! I mentioned to Andy that it would be fun just after last years event was over, so we signed up for email alerts for when this years signing up started.

We entered Meirionwen in January, on the day sign ups started and are now getting emails and letters through, as the event is in June, so that's exciting ... and daunting, as I am Navigator Extraordinaire! They are the words of the organiser, not me. Andy contacted them about me getting a namecheck somewhere in proceedings, as currently it's just driver and car who get name checked, never mind she who has to get those two there. Mind you, with my sense of direction, we may end up somewhere completely different! Anyway, the organiser got back to us and said I shall be listed as Navigator Extraordinaire in the guide book ...

There's also a best period dressed competition, but after the Tilford saga, when there were very few people dressed up and we lost to a couple in uniforms, I am not hopeful. I believe I shall be wearing the same thing as I did then though, as I have a fascinator style hat for that outfit and otherwise would have to make one as I really, really want to wear a hat.



Unless that is, I can make my vintage Harrods pillbox hat work with my green dress that I wore on Drive It Day. I just had a play and not only is the hat in question moulting but it's also at odds with my today, very wild hair, so again, I am not hopeful! Better the hat you know, than the hat you haven't worn since you had longer hair and have no idea how to wear it with shorter hair.
I'm now wondering if I have any green ribbon so I can make a matching hat for the green dress ...

Interestingly, the two dresses are the same style, but for some reason, the green one looks more voluminous in the skirt area and therefore more fifties, while the leopard seems to fit more for early sixties, before the decade became the sixties and Meirionwen is from 1963, so Andy thinks I should tone the skirtage down a tad.



Phooey, now I don't know what to wear. I was all set for leopard but now have a green dress hankering.

Also, I shall be wearing different shoes as I still haven't had my kitten heels re-heeled. When was that Tilford event that I lost the tappity part of my heel? September and still I haven't taken them to the cobblers.

16 comments:

  1. I too have a pair of kitten heels sans heel that have been languishing in my wardobe since last year.

    More flamingos required, definitely.

    How exciting about the London to Brighton run, it's like that film, Genevieve!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so simple to get shoes re-heeled but at the same time, a pain actually doing so and far too easy to put off!

      You know, I really don't think I've seen Genevieve, though Andy swears I have! He even got me googling images to prove he was right, but nothing about it looks familiar.

      Delete
  2. A flamingo girl can never wear enough flamingo items at the same time! As for what to wear, although I like both dresses, I'd settle for the green dress. I love green and always have a hankering for it. I'm very bad at having shoes re-heeled, especially when they let you down at the end of a season. The "tappity" part of your heel, I like that, as it sums it up, really. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My feelings precisely! More flamingos please!

      I am all but decided on the leopard dress as I do love my leopard print and I know all it's going to take is for it to be pulled from the wardrobe and I'll be smitten with it all over again! I think my hankering after the green one was because I have recently worn it and it was novel and new. Plus, wearing leopard to me especially in dress form, seems really showy and I think I need to be showy for the London to Brighton run! xxx

      Delete
  3. Perfect amount of flamingo, and I'm for the leopard. 🌹⭐️🌹

    ReplyDelete
  4. Leopard with green accessories, perhaps? Navigator Extraordinaire is an excellent title-if you don't already have calling cards you should have some printed with your title (I would).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only have a green scarf and a green dress, that's it! I should remedy this.
      Andy said I need to prove myself as Navigator Extraordinaire before I go advertising myself as such!

      Delete
  5. I like Goody's suggestion of the leopard print with green accessories and of having calling cards printed.
    How exciting. I bet you can't wait to fulfill your duties as navigator extraordinaire. I'd be hopeless, I go into the same charity shop every week and still turn out of the door the wrong way. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was saying to Goody that my only green things are a dress and scarf, that's it! I'm trying to think if I ever made any green gemstone jewellery.

      Hehe, you sound as bad as me, I have no sense of direction at all. I often embarrass myself by saying to Andy, "Okay, I am pointing ... south!" to which he replies "No, east." so who knows where we're going to end up! Might even see you in your neck of the woods ;) xxx

      Delete
  6. I agree with the above about the outfit and calling cards! very exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hand up from here from another guilty party who hasn't got broken shoes fixed. I wore my Capezio Character shoes for a barn dance about 6 years ago and some woman trod on my ankle and it ripped the button off the strap and it is still sans button!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet we're not the only ones! I also have shoes with straps which need elastic replacing by the buckle, but at £7 a shoe, that can wait! xxx

      Delete
  8. Flamingotastic! I love all your flingoes.

    Whatever you wear for the London-Brighton will look fantastic. Why not prep both outfits and then make your decision based on gut feeling on the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have all but decided on leopard. I know that once I take it out of the wardrobe, then I'll be a smitten kitten, as it's almost got a flocked feel, and it's soooo showy, I love it! xxx

      Delete
  9. P.S. I like the green!!!! And that flamingo outfit is fantastic! You definitely need Flamingo shoes!!x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!