Friday, 12 May 2017

B-Movie Madness: It Came From Outer Space 1953



"Then at a deadly pace
It came from outer space ..."



A spaceship from another world crashes in the Arizona desert, and only an amateur stargazer and a schoolteacher suspect alien influence when the local townsfolk begin to act strangely.
Originally shown in 3D.



Author and amateur astronomer John Putnam (Richard Carlson) and schoolteacher Ellen Fields (Barbara Rush) watch a large meteorite crash near the small town of Sand Rock, Arizona. They awaken a neighbor, who has a helicopter, and all three fly to the crash site.

Putnam climbs down into the crater and notices a partially buried round object in the crater's pit. He comes to the realization, after he sees a six-sided hatchway close, that this isn't a meteorite but a large alien spaceship. The hatchway's noise starts a landslide that completely buries the craft. Putnam's story is later scoffed at by Sand Rock's sheriff (Charles Drake) and the local news media.






Even Ellen Fields is unsure about what to believe but still agrees to assist Putnam in his investigation. Over the next several days, local people disappear; a few return, but they act distant or appear somewhat dazed.

Convinced by these and other odd events, Sheriff Warren comes to believe Putnam's story that the meteorite is actually a crashed spaceship with alien inhabitants; he then organizes a posse to hunt down the invaders at their crash site. Putnam, however, hopes to reach a peaceful solution to the looming crisis.

Alone, he enters a nearby abandoned mine, which he hopes will eventually connect to the now buried spaceship and its alien occupants.


Putnam finally discovers the spaceship and learns from its crew that they crashed on Earth by accident; the aliens appear benign and only plan to stay on Earth just long enough to repair their damaged craft and then continue on their voyage.

The aliens' real appearance, when finally revealed to Putnam, is entirely non-human: they are large, single-eyed, jelly fish-like beings that seem to glide across the ground, leaving a glistening trail that soon vanishes. They are also able to shape shift into human form using a telepathy screen in order to appear human and move around, unobserved, in order to collect their much needed repair materials.


To do this, they copy the human forms of the local townspeople they've secretly kidnapped to help them repair their crippled spacecraft. In doing so, however, they fail to reproduce the townspeople's exact personalities, leading to suspicion and eventually to the deaths of two of the aliens ...



Did you know ... This was one of the few American films from the 1950s to place its credits at the end rather than at the beginning.

***

This has been my favourite by far to date (that didn't feature Grant Williams *cough*).
I really enjoyed this one, so if you see it on, give it a go!

12 comments:

  1. I love the ingenuity of B movies: how they created special effects on those budgets and that technology. The sheer excitement and creativity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Some special effects stand up even now, it's incredible!

      Delete
  2. Will have to check this one out. I love B scifi movies. I've recently started watching the new version of Mystery Science Theater 3000. I don't know if it airs in the UK, but it's about a guy stranded on a spaceship with his robot friends. They watch B scifi movies and yell sarcastic comments throughout. It's pretty funny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by!

      No, we don't get that programme here, but I have heard of it. I suppose I'm quite lucky that I have access to a channel that shows old b-movies, though I do have to keep a sharp eye out for them.

      Delete
  3. I own this one and though I'm sure we watched it as a "Family movie night" I can't remember it. Guess that means I should make some popcorn and re-watch it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a re-watch is definitely called for!

      Delete
  4. I just love those wacky film posters! Must have been quite scary watching this in 3D. Interesting to know about the credits. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're great aren't they, I love them. I'm sure it was pretty scary, can't say I'd want to see a film that's even remotely scary in 3D xxx

      Delete
  5. I do enjoy the art work of these old posters!! I've not seen this film x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The artwork and titles are my favourite things about these old B features xxx

      Delete
  6. That looks ace. Though the very mention of the title makes me want to sing the opening number from the Rocky Horror Show.

    "At a deadly pace it came from outer space, and this is how the message ran…"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These films make up a huge portion of that opening song! xxx

      Delete

Thank you for commenting!