Thursday, 5 January 2017

B-Movie Madness: The Day of the Triffids 1962



"And I really got hot
When I saw Janette Scott
Fight a Triffid that spits poison and kills
..."

As a child I watched The Day of the Triffids on the telly and it scared the living daylights out of me. I did not like the clicking sound that accompanied their imminent arrival and hadn't been near a Triffid adaptation since then. I have though, been near John Wyndham's house as he used to live around here.

However, over Christmas, I saw the 1962 version was on an obscure telly channel so decided to record it. I watched it alone, as Andy isn't keen on b-movies.



After an unusual meteor shower leaves most of the human
population blind,
a merchant navy officer must find a way to conquer tall,
aggressive plants
which are feeding on people and animals.


It was the version that stars Howard Keel, Janette Scott, Nicole Maury and Kieron Moore and was always on my radar because of the song lyric which starts this post, which comes from the opening song of The Rocky Horror Picture Show, which I was obsessed with as a teen.

I actually really enjoyed it, terrible as the picture was, but that's what you get for watching films on cheapy satellite channels. Mind you, I wouldn't say Janette Scott fought the Triffids, so much as she screamed her head off upon spotting them. My, that woman can scream! I was impressed.





As ever in contemporary films, it was great seeing the outside locations and the cars. The scene where the convicts force the women to dance for them featured some very snazzy jazz music! I had nipped out of the room for a second and returned to see women dancing on tables. Susan then exited the room shrieking about what had happened, mentioning the word whiskey as she did so. Quite a raucous affair I must say.

Something I found interesting was that on 24 May 2015 an alley in Hampstead that appears in The Day of the Triffids was formally named Triffid Alley as a memorial to John Wyndham!



Have you seen this version of Day of the Triffids?


12 comments:

  1. I haven't seen that version, although I'm tempted just for the screaming.

    I too remember the tv series from my childhood, very unnerving. We later read the book at school which did nothing to calm my fears!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure I should read the book!

      Delete
  2. I loved the book but don't recall ever having seen the film.
    Jon's always watching the Horror Channel on Freeview. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gems sometimes pop up on the Horror Channel. I'm finding I have to really dig to find interesting films, bit the titles give them away xxx

      Delete
  3. I haven't seen that version, but now I'm intrigued to just to hear how well Janette Scott can scream.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved the book and I even saw the film, although it was many years ago and I don't remember much of it. At around that time, I had a rampaging houseplant which we called "the Triffid". But you've given me an earworm now, with that Rocky Horrow Picture Show song ... xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping it's a good earworm! I had a children's song stuck in my head last night with no idea how it got there as it's been years since I heard the song! xxx

      Delete
  5. This sounds right up my alley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do watch if you can, you'll likely enjoy it!

      Delete
  6. I've always been a bit scared to watch it read it!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a real scaredy cat, but I didn't find this film scary, it was the telly series which scared me! xxx

      Delete

Thank you for commenting!