Friday, 16 December 2016

Film Friday: Idol on Parade 1959


Today on Film Friday, we take a look at the final film I own from the 1950's, the 1959 Idol on Parade (Idle on Parade).


***


Comedy about the problems arising from the drafting of a rock 'n' roll idol played by Anthony Newley.


***




Idol on Parade is a film in one of my favourite genres, the music vehicle. A good chunk of our DVD collection is of this ilk.
There is precious little information about this film to be found, which is a shame.

A farcical comedy, it was directed by John Gilling and stars Anthony Newley, Sid James and Lionel Jeffries. 



The film was based on the 1958 novel Idle on Parade by William Camp that was in turn inspired by Elvis Presley's conscription into the US Army.

One of the songs "I've Waited for So Long" became a hit for Newley.



Did you know ... In one scene, Anthony Newley and his pals go the cinema where a movie called The Cockleshell Heroes (1955) is playing. This is an inside joke; it was one of Newley's earlier films.


It was also filmed in part, in the city I grew up in, Portsmouth.

10 comments:

  1. this sounds interesting i never heard of it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one of those obscure British ones, I'm sure many Brits won't have heard of it either!

      Delete
  2. Anthony Newley was my favorite singer when I was much younger. I especially loved his musicals 'Stop The World I Want To Get Off', and 'The Roar Of The Greasepaint, The Smell Of The Crowd'. Thank you so much for this wonderful post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds good!!! Did you say Sid James? I always liked him in the Carry on movies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Sid James! I liked him in Bless This House too xxx

      Delete
  4. I must confess I'd never heard of the film, so thanks for the introduction. Inspired by Elvis's conscription into the army! My husband was a big Elvis fan at the time. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so welcome! I spotted it among the DVD's in a garden centre of all places and a friend absolutely insisted on treating me, which was do sweet! xxx

      Delete
  5. Never even heard of this film, let alone seen it! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't either, one of those garden centre delights! xxx

      Delete

Thank you for commenting!