Friday, 6 May 2016

Film Friday: Sabrina 1954


Hey look! Film Friday is back! Huzzah! 

* * *

A playboy becomes interested in the daughter of his family's chauffeur. But it's his more serious brother who would be the better man for her. 


* * *

Sabrina is a 1954 American romantic comedy film directed by Billy Wilder, adapted for the screen by Wilder, Samuel A. Taylor, and Ernest Lehman from Taylor's play Sabrina Fair.

Starring Humphrey Bogart, Audrey Hepburn and William Holden it was Wilder's last film released by Paramount Pictures, ending a 12-year business relationship with Wilder and the company.

Sabrina was selected for preservation in the United States National Film Registry by the Library of Congress in 2002.



Humphrey Bogart was a last minute replacement for Cary Grant (supposedly, Grant rejected the part because he did not want to carry an umbrella onscreen). Bogart and William Holden couldn't stand each other. Bogart disapproved of Audrey Hepburn (he wanted his wife Lauren Bacall in the role), while Holden fell in love with her. Bogart got $300000, Holden got $150000, and Hepburn only $15000. Asked how he liked working with Hepburn, Bogart replied: "It's OK, if you don't mind to make a dozen takes." 



Co-stars Audrey Hepburn and William Holden fell in love during the making of this film, but Hepburn broke off the relationship on learning that Holden could not have children. 



Humphrey Bogart did not get along with either of his co-stars Audrey Hepburn or William Holden, whom he nicknamed "Smiling Jim". He also said that Hepburn was quite untalented and could not act. 



Did you know ... because of the costumes' high price, Paramount insisted that Audrey Hepburn pay for them herself as part of her personal wardrobe. 


Have you ever seen Sabrina?
If so, William Holden or Humphrey Bogart? Odd child that I was, Bogart was my man and still is, I luff him.
Insert heart here.
I adore his comedy roles and am very partial to his toothiness, likely why I have a soft spot for Billy Bob Thornton, they have a similarity there.


* * * * * *

Previous Film Fridays:

1920's

1930's
1939 - Gunga Din
           Gone With the Wind

1940's


1950's
1951 - Scrooge
1953 - The Wild One
           Roman Holiday
1955 - The Ladykillers 

8 comments:

  1. Love this movie! I've probably seen it into the double digits at this point. Wow, that's really interestingly regarding Audrey having to pay in part for her gorgeous wardrobe in this picture. I know that it was standard practise for many years for leading me to provide/pay for their wardrobes, if they were wearing contemporary styles, but I've not heard many accounts of actresses being asked (probably more like "told") to do the same. What a neat piece of cinema history.

    Big hugs & happy Friday wishes,
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Bogie. There's something about him that I just adore.
    If you like podcasts, I recently found one called You Must Remember This. It's all about Hollywood, the stars, and how some famous movies got made.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen Sabrina, but that was ages ago, and I actually don't remember it very well (making mental note to watch it again). Anyway, it is Humphrey Bogart for me.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the fashions in this film but I have to confess I wasnt oohing and ahhing over either of the leading men

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't seen it, I'm afraid. I'm not at all well versed in vintage Hollywood - Bollywood, yes! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Boggart sounds a right meanie!!! I've got this on DVD but not watched it yet- got it in a charity shop!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't seen Sabrina yet but I had no idea that Humphrey Bogart disliked them both so much! It's always hard to tell when the actors can create such believable chemistry on set. Sad to know that Audrey called off the engagement once she learnt that Holden couldn't have children, that's a shame. I've seen a film about her life with Jennifer Garner which touched on that a little, but I'll have to watch this now! - Tasha

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like Sabrina, and I'm definitely a Bogart fan. I'm glad Bacall didn't get the rold, though, she'd have been too worldly for it. There's a reason why she was able to carry off the role of Slim while a teenager; she'd never have made a good Sabrina.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting!