Saturday, 5 October 2013

Swoon on a Saturday: The Boys From Sun Studios

Only me.  I thought today I would, as it's a Saturday, put up a Swoon on a Saturday post. Today I'm concentrating on a handful of lovelies from Sun Records. Wouldn't the Sun studio have been quite the place to loiter outside of .. although I never have seen the fuss about Elvis.

JOHNNY CASH
J. R. Cash
Born February 26, 1932
Kingsland, Arkansas, United States

Died September 12, 2003 (aged 71)
Nashville, Tennessee, United States




***

BB KING
Riley B. King

Born  
September 16, 1925
near Berclair, Mississippi United States


***

JERRY LEE LEWIS
The Killer

Born
September 29, 1935


***

ELVIS PRESLEY
Elvis Aaron Presley
Born 
January 8, 1935
Tupelo, Mississippi, U.S.

Died
August 16, 1977 (aged 42)
Memphis, Tennessee, U.S.


***
My personal favourite the divine Billy Lee Riley. Watching a documentary about Sun Records, lovely Billy distracted me to such a degree that I almost burnt the pattern piece I was ironing out flat.

BILLY LEE RILEY

Born
October 5, 1933
Pocahontas, Arkansas, United States

Died
August 2, 2009 (aged 75)
Jonesboro, Arkansas, United States


***

IKE TURNER
Ike Wister Turner

Born
November 5, 1931
Clarksdale, Mississippi, U.S.

Died
December 12, 2007 (aged 76)
San Marcos, California, U.S.


8 comments:

  1. OMG! Now you're talking!

    I visited Sun Studio -- which is preserved in exactly the condition it was in fifty years ago -- when I visited Memphis a few years back. I blogged about my visit. There's a profound sense of history there.

    And, on Broadway, I saw "Million Dollar Quartet," a musical portrayal of the true meeting and jam between Johnny Cash, Elvis, Carl Perkins and Jerry Lee Lewis. Carl is my favorite of that group.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the links, I shall have a look!
      I would love to see Sun Studio, I'm sure the place reeks of history. Andy, my husband said he went past there in a bus once and it never occurred to him to get off and have a look, but then another time he was also a stones throw from the Grand Canyon and failed to go and have a look at that too!

      Andy is more inclined toward Elvis and Johnny Cash but I favour Carl Perkins and keep meaning to get myself a Jerry Lee compilation as I really like him too, I've got a good Sun one on my amazon wishlist which I'll treat myself to one day :)

      Delete
    2. The history at Sun was palpable. And their tour was the best I've ever had anywhere. Despite the small size of the studio, they deliver lots of entertaining info.

      Carl's version of "Blue Suede Shoes" is so much better than Elvis's.

      Delete
  2. Here are the links:
    http://shybiker.livejournal.com/3563.html
    http://shybiker.blogspot.com/2010/11/whole-lotta-shaking-going-on.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Johnny Cash is a legend. I love so much of his work and Elvis too of course. My Grandparents always play his records when I am around their house. Good music surpasses time. And yes moving is always sad but there are happy outcomes too so I'm trying to be positive! Thank you for the kind words. - Tasha xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andy's more the Cash and Presley fan here but I do like some of their music. I'm more inclined toward Carl Perkins and Billy Lee Riley xxx

      Delete
  4. I just started a book about Elvis this morning, so this post is very timely Melanie. Johnny Cash is my mum's favourite singer so we grew up with him playing all the time and I'll always have a soft spot for his music. I never knew B.B. King's first name was Riley, same as my son! I've not heard of Billy Lee Riley but he's got an interesting look about him. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never knew BB was a Riley either. Billy Lee Riley is definitely my favourite, he's one of those singers that has multiple voices and he always catches Andy out as he can sound so different from track to track. You might know the song 'Red Hot' or 'Flying Saucer Rock and Roll' xxx

      Delete

Thank you for commenting!