Friday, 31 August 2012

Style Inspiration: Audrey Hepburn

I am very aware that when the question of WW(insert appropriate initial here)W or WW_D comes up, my preferred icon often gets over looked by vintage-istas in favour of someone with more edge, but mine is and has always been, predictably some might say, Audrey Hepburn.
In moments of crisis, I have often fallen back on WWAW or WWAD (What Would Audrey Wear or even Do). Once I even went the whole nine yards.

The hat was £8 in a sale.
The sunglasses were a gift, originally found at a boot sale.
The dress was a gift from Andy and has such a lovely weight to it, it hangs wonderfully.
Earrings - antique shop
Gloves - Claires Accesories I believe.
Handbag - charity shop
Shoes and stockings - retail
The Andy, I found in a cafe bar one night




***

Audrey was undoubtedly one of the most beautiful women to ever grace life, you may not think much of her (though I cannot think why) but surely you can appreciate her effortless beauty ..










  In the 1999 book 'Audrey Style' by Pamela Clarke Keogh, there is a section entitled 
Audrey's Closet
with a little run down of the capsule Audrey wardrobe ..

The Essentials

The little black dress
A sleeveless sheath dress
The white shirt
A jazzy suit
Capri pants
A dark turtleneck
One "what the hell" item
One killer dress
Jeans, a polo shirt, sneaks
Flats
The Sabrina heel


Accessories

The (preferably Hermes) scarf)
Dark sunglasses
As little jewellery as possible (unless tagging Holly it says)
A small dog with a wry name (how about a bunny, I'm not a dog person)
Gregory Peck (may I have 1960's Peter O'Toole instead?)

***

Mine is Audrey .. who is yours? 


11 comments:

  1. You make a very good Audrey, Melanie. You've got the figure and the fragile ladylike air about you. I do love Audrey Hepburn, she's so beautiful in that picture with the cowboy hat especially.
    I couldn't pick the one person who I always think "what would they do?" or would like to be like, because it changes all the time and could be a man as much as a woman, when it comes to attitude. Though that would probably surprise people who know me because I'm not tough or strong, but not all men are tough or strong either I guess! I think I've forgotten the point of the question now Melanie, I've rambled so much! If it's who I like for style, it changes all the time but tends to be women who are much more glamorous and out there with their style than I am. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Even though I am tall, far above the average height for women, I know that people often think of me as a delicate little flower, and when they say such, I do often notice a note of scorn in their voices. I'm not so sure what is wrong with being feminine/ladylike/fragile, maybe it is old fashioned in this day and age, but I don't smother people in scorn for being the opposite to me, it takes all sorts to make the world go round.
      I actually confused myself in this post, I meant to say wear and not do, but I believe the do also comes in to play when it comes to Audrey, I have never heard a bad thing said about her, so doing likewise to her could never hurt in my opinion.
      The cowboy hat picture certainly is beautiful, I love her effortless quality.
      xxx

      Delete
    2. I'm tall too, though I swear I'm shrinking for some reason, surely I'm not that old yet! I always thought I was 5ft 9 or 10in. but I got measured at the hospital and came up as 5ft 8in. Also all our family heights from years past are marked on the kitchen door and I'm a good inch shorter than my old mark now, I think I'm just gradually collapsing from tiredness, the kids would probably say I'm like the Wicked Witch from the Wizard of Oz only I'm not melting, I'm shrinking.
      Oh and I agree about Audrey Hepburn, I've only ever heard people say how lovely she was too. I liked her in "Two for the Road" with Albert Finney, I've always had a thing for him. xx

      Delete
  2. You look stunning and what a perfect outfit. She was rather special wasn't she? I love that photo of her with Peter O'Toole...two of the most beautiful creatures ever!
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much xxx
      Oh can you just imagine the beautiful babies they would have had? I love 'How To Steal A Million', maybe for the broom cupboard scene alone, I have no idea how she managed to be in such close proximity to him without swooning, hehe!

      Delete
  3. Yes, Audrey certainly was beautiful. I wonder if she EVER looked scruffy? Somehow I doubt it!
    You certainly look very chic and elegant in your LBD and hat and sunnies. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now there's a question! No, I really do think she was incapable of being scruffy! Even as a grubby faced Eliza she managed to look enviable!
      And thank you! I thought I had lost that dress yesterday and turned the place upside down in the search. I was getting very wibbly lipped when I thought I might have accidentally sent it to the charity shop. All was well though, as I found that AND my red go go boots, but still can't find what I call my 'Barberella' dress.
      xxx

      Delete
  4. You do a marvellous Audrey,darling!!
    She certainly was a stunner....um, I have far too many icons to list.....but if I'm a bit stuck,I most often ask myself what Desiree would do,I think.Or Mrs Slocombe.Depends on my mood!XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you lovely!
      Desiree would most certainly burst a creative dam!

      Delete
  5. Audrey was so perfect! I love your whole outfit, the hat is perfect. Just watched Anne Hathaway as Cat Woman and she had a very similar Audrey look. I don't have a particular style icon, though perhaps my all time favourite is Diana Rigg as Emma Peel, but I can't dress like her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was and thank you xxx
      Anne Hathaway does have a very classic look about her.
      As far as I'm concerned, if you can't dress like someone you admire for whatever reason, you can at least take elements of their look and adapt them.

      Delete

Thank you for commenting!